Wednesday, January 26, 2011

State of the Union

Despite the fact that this speech was probably one of the most boring speeches in the history of Barack Obama, it was certainly an effective and dare I say, a safe speech. Not that I expected there to be much specificity but the fact remains that there was none to very little of it. One of the big things that stuck out in my mind was the President's promise to veto any bill with an earmark attached. Putting aside my support for the earmarking process in general, I think this promise is just a little bit of a pander to the public on something that they don't even understand. There is no question, however, that the President has the formal power to do as he as promised through his enumerated power to veto bills. The question is whether or not he will do so. In my opinion, this is either a legitimate move to cut down on spending, or it gives the President a nice excuse in which to veto legislation that may come with Republican authors.

The second most prominent and certainly the most lasting element of the speech was Salmon.

Moving beyond food, also known as "fish" to animal rights folk, The President also mentioned his desire to start investing the country in green technologies and creating green jobs. This cannot be done by the President alone however. This can only be done by an act of congress that will need to be signed by the President. All that Obama may do is recommend a budget to congress with his priorities in it and outlined. The President can only use his influence in this matter.

The President also made clear his desire to put a spending freeze at next years levels for the next five years. Unfortunately, not only is this a poor idea, but one that the President has the power to do. All he really has to do is veto any bill which adds to the Budget Deficit. This is an issue both parties are likely to get behind.

This speech was an effective demonstration of how President Obama wishes to start compromising with the Republican Party. He gives a lot of power here to be left up to the Congress and reserves some for making his own decisions.



5 comments:

  1. I guess I was the only one so far who thought the speech was somewhat entertaining, maybe it's because I was doing 20 other things at the same time i was listening to it. I do agree that it was definitely a safe speech, in which he mentioned little HE would personally do. I don't have to much to say beings as everyone has said much of the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree that it perhaps wasn't his best speeches, but I also agree with earmarks. I, too, am a supporter of the use of earmarks after I learned all the good to actually come out of them (as opposed to all of the negativity). This speech like many before and most likely many after show a good insight into what the President wants to do; now let's just see what actually comes from it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry guys, had to edit my comment.

    I actually agree with most of this, which is particularly annoying when finding things to say.

    Anyway, I also agree with Michelle, he barely mentioned anything he would do personally. And I think you're being slightly paranoid about the veto thing. I think he effectively asked Congress to do things as politely as possible, but yeah, I thought it was too safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. completely with agree with Julia and Michelle. I was hoping Obama would maybe lay out what he personally was going to do, but oh well.

    I think that the earmark issue might be just purely political; say youre cutting spending by symbolically vetoing every piece of legislation that has one attached. But do you think he actually will do it? I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete